Outdoor Burn Policy

Snoqualmie Pass Fire & Rescue

Adopted September 19, 2018

General Information

The following is an authorized policy regulating outdoor burning within the fire district. The permit process does not apply to burning in the area identified as the Forest Protection Zone of the Department of Natural Resources. The Forest Protection Zone consists of all Department of Natural Resources or Washington State Lands. Burning in the Forest Protection Zone is under the control of the Department of Natural Resources. Department of Natural Resource Phone Number:
No outdoor burning, of any kind, is authorized during a burn ban declared by the fire district, County or the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (1-800-595-4341). BAN INFORMATION may be obtained by logging into the District website at www.snoqualmiepassfirerescue.org or by calling the fire district at
(425) 434-6333
Natural vegetation is the only material that may be burned. All other materials such as cardboard, lumber, garbage, plastics, paints, rubber products, dead animals and petroleum products are prohibited. This list is not all-inclusive. Only natural vegetation such as branches, leaves, etc. may be burned. Materials must be from the burn site only; materials cannot be transported to the site and then burned. All burning at a commercial occupancy is prohibited.
Burning is prohibited if wind exceeds 15 mph, and during any burn ban declared by the fire district or the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. A pile to be burned in the vicinity of an occupied structure may be required to meet more restrictive wind speed conditions.
Residential burning is authorized in the fire district; provided the pile is limited in size, located at least 25 feet from any structure or propane tanks, an adult is in attendance with appropriate extinguishing equipment, and the smoke and fly ash do not constitute a nuisance. No written burning permit is required for residential burning. Pile size is limited to 4 feet by 4 feet by 3 feet high (4’X4’X3’). Contact Station 291 or our web site for further burn information.
Cooking fires in manufactured cooking devices and small open pit cooking fires, do not require a written permit. Cooking fires in an open pit larger than 2 feet in diameter will be considered residential outdoor burning. Cooking fires are prohibited if there is a burn ban in effect.
All burn barrels are strictly prohibited.
If an individual suspects that a pile may be illegal or that the smoke is causing an undue nuisance, please call Station 291 at (425) 434-6333 or 911 and the Fire Department will investigate the complaint.
LAND CLEARING FIRES - land clearing fires are not allowed within the district